February is International Mediterranean Diet Month. Part of Above & Beyond’s focus is to help you enjoy your life while enjoying a healthy lifestyle.
A healthy lifestyle includes eating right. The Mediterranean Diet is a common diet highly recommended by dieticians, physicians and medical experts worldwide. Let’s find out why.
Benefits of the Mediterranean Diet
Utilizing our homemaker services is one way that Above & Beyond can help you benefit from this amazing lifestyle eating plan. With help in meal preparation along with running errands and shopping; our caregivers can have you eating healthy in no time.
- Anti-Inflammatory –The foods eaten on the diet are known for their anti-inflammatory properties. Inflammation is the root of many diseases; including heart disease, arthritis, diabetes, Alzheimer’s and more.
- High in Fiber – Eating a diet high in fiber helps you feel full, is beneficial to the heart, helps with digestion, and aids in controlling diabetes. Read more on why a high fiber diet is extremely beneficial for you in this article from the Mayo Clinic.
- Weight Loss – This lifestyle diet promotes an excellent way to lose weight but is much more than a weight loss program. It improves heart health and is known to help many people rid their bodies of a variety of diseases.
- Brain Health – Recent news has focused on the diet being helpful to cognitive health. Most likely due to the incorporation of healthy fats, there is evidence that the diet could be helpful to cognitive health. This also points to being helpful in fighting against Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia.
How It All Began
This excellent article discusses the beginnings of the Mediterranean lifestyle of eating. Keep these facts in mind:
- This is a lifestyle, not a fad.
- While it’s called a diet, the term is used to describe a style of eating. It is a lifestyle change and isn’t something you do short-term, simply to lose weight.
- Maintaining this style of eating will continue to produce positive health benefits.
- The idea of this lifestyle is to eat fresh, unprocessed types of foods.
Find Out More
There is a lot to learn about the Mediterranean Diet. This video is a step towards a fuller understanding.
The Original Mediterranean Diet & Lifestyle
Above & Beyond Can Help
Our goal is to help you age well and age healthy. Choosing a healthy approach to eating is one way you can make a difference. Choosing the Mediterranean Diet could be the way to make the difference you need to age as well as possible & we can help.
Photo by mealmakeovermoms