Above & Beyond Hospice Care wants you to have the best understanding possible when you’re dealing with the loss of a loved one. Hospice care complements geriatric care management in many situations.
What is Geriatric Care Management?
Our team will sometimes work with a geriatric care manager while providing hospice care in Cedar Rapids or other service areas. While working together, hospice care complements geriatric care management to create the best care situation possible.
A geriatric care manager provides the following services:
- Assessment – A geriatric care manager will originally assess the overall picture of the senior they are working with. This is referred to as a comprehensive geriatric assessment. In particular, they will assess the living conditions and needs or adjustments required to create the best living conditions possible.
Once the GCM has done their assessment; they may ask for other professional assessments in other areas. For instance, a physical assessment from your physician, help with assessments from your caregiver, and others.
- Create a Care Plan – Once the main assessments are complete, the GCM will come up with a plan for care. The intentions of this plan are to create living conditions that provide the highest quality of life possible. At the same time, they also want to be sure the plan includes safety and comfort.
- Arrange for Services – As a professional who has access to many avenues of care and resources your GCM will arrange for the home care services they suggest. Depending upon when the geriatric care manager enters the life of the senior, they may also suggest where to turn for end of life decisions.
- Monitoring – While they won’t be in the life of the senior continuously, they will keep an eye on the how things are going with the senior. They will do this by keeping open lines of communication between all members of your geriatric care team.
How Hospice Care Complements Geriatric Care Management
When you reach a time of need for hospice care, you most likely will already have a geriatric care manager in place as part of your home care team. Our expertise in hospice can complement what the GCM has put into place for you.
Here are some ways that hospice care and geriatric care managers can work together:
- Assessments – During hospice care we can use these assessments to determine what steps to take to provide continued comfort care. These assessments, along with updates from the monitoring, will provide our hospice care providers with information about the client’s life.
We can use this information to help make end of life care a positive experience for everyone involved. One way hospice care complements geriatric care management is to utilize the tools created by the GCM.
- Having Documents in Order – Part of the job of our hospice team is to make sure you have the legal documents needed. Some of these documents may have already been handled by the GCM. Our hospice services will help to ensure that the documents are in order. We will also make sure that the desires of the person receiving hospice care are being met.
- Family Care – Your GCM often serves as a line of communication between you and your entire family. We will work with the GCM to make sure that everyone is notified of changes that happen as the process of end of life moves forward.
However, our services will also include grief care. Having the ability to offer our services to everyone involved in the life of the person who has passed is imperative. Often, when there is no GCM put in place ahead of time, the family may not recognize some family members that could benefit from our after care services. This includes options such as grief camp for children and group therapies.
Let Our Hospice Care & Home Care Be a Part of Your Geriatric Care Team
We invite you to contact us about hospice care and our home care services. Let us show you how hospice care complements geriatric care management by offering you the services that are “above & beyond” the competition.
Photo by rzuranski