Is it really possible to sit and get fit? It’s not only possible but Above and Beyond Home Health Care can show you how; with our Sit and Get Fit program! Read on for more information.
You can also:
- Click here to view a downloadable flyer about the classes
- Click here to view a downloadable schedule of the classes
Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant and Certified Lymphatic Therapist
Physical Therapy Assistant
The Importance of Exercise
It is without question that movement or activity is a prominent part to aging healthy and helping to avoid chronic and/or debilitating diseases as you age. Exercise is the key to aging well, and being active or exercising offers a multitude of positive effects:
- Lowering your LDL (bad) Cholesterol
- Weight Control
- Happier Mental Health / Decreased Depression
- Reduces Health Risks for Chronic Illnesses including: Diabetes, Cardiovascular disease, Metabolic Syndrome (a group of diseases & health issues that encompasses a number of issues commonly affected by aging; although it is not a ‘typical’ or acceptable aspect of aging)
- Stronger Bones – Hip Fractures are decreased with as little as 1.6 hours of aerobic activity per week
- Lowered Risk of Falling
- Reduces Risk of some Cancers
- Stronger Muscles
- Increased Longevity
- Improved Mobility for those who have Arthritis
So What is Sit and Get Fit?
As we’ve shown you, increased activity can change your overall health and mindset with minimal effort and change. Because not everyone is able to do the same level activity or the same exercise in the same way, we’ve created a way to literally exercise as you are safely and comfortably in place; you can simply sit as we work with you to get fit.
This is What Sit and Get Fit Can Offer
- Exercise to your ability
- No worries about balance
- We provide a workout to your specific needs/abilities
- No special equipment or clothing
- Get fit in comfort (We offer this program in a variety of comfortable ways, ask us where you can sit & get fit)
- No embarrassment (you work directly with professionals who understand limitations & fears)
- Positive environment
- Social interaction that can help create a positive flow of energy
We’ve discussed the positive features of getting active and these positive affects apply to anyone at any age. We’ve discussed the positive physical affects of becoming more active and moving more. Next we’re going to briefly touch on the amount of “physical ” activity it really requires to make a difference in your life.
How Much Activity Makes a Difference?
- 10 Minutes of moderate aerobic activity makes a difference
- Any type of activity counts as long as it keeps you moving for 10 minutes; increasing your heart & breathing rate
- It’s suggested that the minimum required amount of activity for seniors is 2 1/2 hours per week
- You start out slow and work towards higher intensity; but not an intensity that is overwhelming
- As your time of activity increases so do the rewards; as your intensity increases so do the benefits
Are You Interested in Finding Out More about How We Can Help you Get Fit?
Contact us to find out more about the Sit and Get Fit program that we can offer you, no matter what your current activity rate is at!
Photo by jinxmcc